Re: Serendipity & deja vus

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Serendipity & deja vus
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 00:09:12 -0500
Bcc:

These square & dot stencils came about due to a bad batch of wheels from Southern Wheel - mostly on a severals RR's in southeast but due to repairs to 'foreign' cars they occurred to quite a few RR's frt cars. I know we had quite a few C&NW 40' box cars affected at the time for some reason even though mostly used Griffin wheels. The big problem was that FRA in its infinite wisdom at the time used white & yellow dots (as John Mitchell correctly mentioned) to indicate whether the wheels had been inspected/replaced or were bad . The obvious problem was that dirty white dots & faded yellow were virtually indistinguisable. (And carknockers, unlike engineers, can be color blind & still have a RR job!) Gerald PS - & since this occurred post-BN, you would not find same on any CB&Q cars prior to merger for particular modelers.