Re: Chicago

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Chicago
From: "ed_de_rouin" <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:24:28 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., qutlx1@a... wrote:
> Ed, awesome! I'll bet you also found out where it was actually
spotted?
> Taylor St wouldn't mean it went over to the plant along the river
that still
> exists would it? I thought that was a water pumping plant for
the city?
> Leo

Leo:

Yes, the power plant east of the south approach to CUS was
built for CUS as a result of the expanded post office between Van
Buren and Harrison. The older power plant was on the NE
corner of Harrsion and Canal. The Taylor St plant, built in 1932,
supplied steam to not only CUS, but the post office, PRR, C&A,
and Q freight houses, and the Daily News building.

I need to confrim the hopper set out spot, but suspect it was on
the east side of the Taylor St. power house.

The book exploring the history of and pre-Amtrak operation at
CUS is nearly complete. I expect to that it will be available late
summer, this year.

Ed DeRouin