Silver Terrace

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Silver Terrace
From: "David E. Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:18:06 -0600
Some of you know that I'm on vacation this week down in Arkansas...and we
just got back from a side trip to Branson. We had a most enjoyable, 90
minute ride on the Ozark Zephyr riding in non other than the dome of Silver
Terrace. Talk about a nostalgia rush! The folks at Branson have done a
wonderful job restoring Silver Terrace, although the cushy lounge chairs in
the rear are long gone, replaced by 'almost' comfortable arm chairs. The
air conditioning wasn't working well in the dome, but to be able to ride in
a Vista Dome again was well worth some minor discomfort. We also spent some
time in Silver Fountain's dome, whose air conditioner was working, but which
only has uncomfortable benches in place of the seats. Checked out (from a
distance) Silver Garden which is undergoing repairs and also Silver Chef
which was parked on a siding near the depot. This was the first opportunity
my two younger boys have had the chance to ride a dome and both thoroughly
enjoyed the experience.

Today's Zephyr trip headed north out of Branson to Galena, Missouri and not
the usual trip south due to tie work being done. While there is some
beautiful scenery and a couple of high bridges, the trip was marred with the
junk yard views so typical of traveling in urban areas. What was ironic was
that up in the mountains above the junk yard were $500,000+ homes being
built with a perfect view of the eyesore! I wonder how long they will put
up with it?

Anyway, if any of you are visiting Branson, I would highly recommend a trip
back to yesteryear and ride a Zephyr! (Although not a Burlington one...)

David Lotz
(314-846-8632
* E-mail: Dave_Lotz@m...