Re: #14006 Side Door Waycar (NE-1)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: #14006 Side Door Waycar (NE-1)
From: Ken Martin <kmartin@c...>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:01:56 -0800
Cc: GARDNERST8@a...

Don Zinnecker wrote:

> Can anyone on the list help? Please reply to all..... Thanks, Don
>
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:28:22 EST GARDNERST8@a... writes:
> > Is this type of car identical in length to the 4 window waycars
> > without side doors? And are all the NE-1's on the roster list
> side doors, in case I want to go photograph one that might be the
> closest? I would be interested in kit-bashing the O scale
> AllNation CB&Q waycar kit into a model of a sidedoor, possible #14006.
> I would like to know if any of these sidedoors were lettered for C&S or FW&D?

The NE-1's were all built before the 1904 renumbering and were generally
28' 3 window cars. The side door cars were rebuilt from other waycars
mostly in the ' 60 's. There were not many side door cars, I beleive
Dave Lotz identified about 6 some time ago. Other than 10 cars that went
to FW&D late the C&S and FW&D had their own designs.

> Another common O scale CB&Q kit is the old Walthers kit for a double
> door, two reefer doors per side, reefer. None of those were listed in the
> roster, and what I have been trying to find out is, were any of these
> cars lettered for C&S or FW&D, and what were their numbers?
> I assume none of those are known to survive?
> > Thanks.
> > gardnerst8@a...

In 1937 the Q built 30 50' express reefers #300-329 of these 4 #'s
326-329 had four doors the rest had the usual two doors. These had BREX
reporting marks not road reporting marks. For more info see Bulletin #12.

Ken Martin