Re: [BRHSlist] Use of Feedwater Heaters on the Burlington

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Use of Feedwater Heaters on the Burlington
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@y...>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:10:21 -0800 (PST)
Jonathan
I don't think we are in disagreement at all . My point
was that FWH's produce better thermal efficiency. That
does translate into fuel and water saving, but it also
means for a given size boiler you get more out. Thus
for hard service, be it harder grades, bigger loads or
faster trains, it can do the job.

One thing you are leaving out of your well reasoned
piece, is that most of the class O-3's had exhaust
steam injectors (sometimes called "poor men's" FWH).
In fact, Elesco sold their exhaust system injectors as
"open feedwater heaters".

As a futher note, the Mechanical Dept. performed many
tests and studied the various alternatives of design
in making these decisions. This is one the things for
which the dynometer car was used.

Another factor in all of this, was the state of the
art. Reliable FHW's became available in the early
20's. So many engines were retrofitted.

John D. Mitchell, Jr.

=== message truncated ===