Besler Steam Motor, the Burlington, and Budd.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Besler Steam Motor, the Burlington, and Budd.
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 11:45:12 -0800
Bill Frankney writes-

List,
W.G. Besler, a Galesburg man, son of a former superintendent, had two sons
who invented a steam rail car in the plant of Davenport-Besler Corporation.
The track between Davenport and Clinton was used for a test run of the new
steam car. Burning furnace oil to heat a water tube boiler, the rail car
attained a speed of 50 to 60 mph. The body, of stainless steel, was built
by the Budd Company of Philadelphia and was Shotwelded. From what I
understand there wasn't much publicity connected with this steam car. If
anyone is interested in the exact dates, contact me off list as I'll have to
do some digging here.......Bill

This is extremely interesting and new information for me, and in unintended ways it seems to solve a mystery.

George Besler, whose family was involved in the Davenport Company, did invent a steam motor (miniature compound reciprocating engines within a power truck, powered by a high pressure -1200 lb.- flash type boiler). These were installed in a two car streamlined motor train for the New Haven, for which use two standard weight coaches were converted for the New Haven by the Budd Company on contract. Only carbon steel. No stainless steel involved. If I recall, the train could reach about 75 mph.

This train began service between Bridgeport and Danbury CT in 1936, and it was withdrawn from service in 1943.

Other Besler motors were built for a B&O multi-motored steam locomotive that was being built in the Mt. Clare shops, a fast passenger locomotive that would have been roughly the equivalent of the PRR's 4-4-4-4 T1. Apparently some of the motors were delivered (there are documented recollections of one of more of the motors being seen on site), but the locomotive never otherwise made it off the drawing board.

I have long suspected that these Besler motors were made by Davenport, but this is the first I have heard that this was probably so (none of the publications of the time, nor the NH materials ever mention where Besler had these built). Undoubtedly, what Bill is describing here is road testing of the New Haven motor car. Of course then, why use the Burlington rather hometown Davenport railroads Rock Island, DRI& W, or Milwaukee (who had a steam motor of their own in operation at the time- the Locomotor).

Although George Besler's family apparently had significant financial involvement in Davenport, George also had a home and office in Oakland, Califonia where he had been deeply involved in the engineering of the Doble Steam Car- probably the most spectacular of the steam automobiles. I have a very large specifically-dated 1937 framed colored elevation of an AA locomotive pair with four of the steam motors, on the back of which are some of Mr. Besler's notations. The colors are classic SP Daylight, and this drawing was apparently to be part of a proposal to the SP for this power to be considered for their new train.

As a side note, I yet know of no other instances where the Budd Company did contract work on other than their own stainless steel products. Of course, the Depression forced a lot of companies to not be too particular about where their dollars might be coming from.

More than you wanted to hear, but....I apologise!

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California