RE: [BRHSlist] FW: The Burlington "Motor"

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] FW: The Burlington "Motor"
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:34:06 -0600
Cc: <jc620@u...>
I know the Burlington experimented with steam "motor" powered passenger cars
in that time period. It may be that one was actually in the service you
describe.
The Twin Cities was the scene of much experimentation; I seem to remember
that a GN or Milw predecessor road had a 2-4-0 articulated with a coach.
Later the Dan Patch Lines got rid of all their steamers in favor of GE
Gas-Electrics. Must be the long winters left the Norwegians with too much
time on their hands..... Most of the steam motor cars did not succeed; too
light on the drivers and too difficult to maintain.
Charlie