Re: [BRHSlist] F-units - Prototype and Model

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] F-units - Prototype and Model
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@a...>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:41:46 -0700
To Tom Mack and Group,

> 3. According to a post on the website, the Genesis numbers are F7a
> 164A (traded in 2/69 on the SD45 order), with F3A/B 164B/C (also
> traded in 2/69 on the SD45's) are coming soon. These would possibly
> fit my modeling era, but again, were they actually running until
> trade-in time? Does anyone (e.g. John Olson) know if Athearn might be
> releasing F7A's numbered 168A or 168C, which ran until merger time?

I just renumbered a Genesis F-7A into #168-C. Squadron Tools makes a
neat device called a 'Seam Scrapper' which consists of an all metal tool
with scrapping blades on both ends (one LH- the other RH). The blades are
slightly curved so you don't have corners that dig into the surface you are
scrapping. The numbers on the Genesis units are painted on and came off very
easily with this tool. I used a Q-Tip with Alcohol to clean up the areas
where I removed the numbers and then applied MicroScale decals (168-C) where
the old numbers had been. Removing the metal number plate under the
Headlight was a little more challenging since it is Super-Glued (I think) in
place and a little paint came off with the plate (maybe you could use
Un-cure which de-bonds super glue). I touched it up with my home mixture of
Scalecoat paint and applied the #168-C decal in it's place after the paint
dried. I painted the number boards black and again applied #168C decals. I
then applied the small numbers above the MU hoses on the end of the unit. I
will mask the Windshield and Headlight areas with tape and airbrush some
diluted Floquil Flat Finish/Crystal Coat 50/50 over the decals to hide the
sheen after I am sure everything has dried properly and no air bubbles
exist. I didn't worry about the tiny #164-A numbers under the BURLINGTON on
the unit sides since I can hardly read them with a Opti-visor! The number
change was very easy and was done in a short period of time. This leads me
to believe that a person can have a whole fleet of A/B/B/A Ph IV F-3's and
single F-7A's in no time if you are modeling the mid to late 60's when the
F's were broken up from their original sets!

John Olson
Billings, MT.