Re: [BRHSlist] Baggage Car Identification?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Baggage Car Identification?
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:51:16 EST
In a message dated 2/12/02 1:20:27 AM Central Standard Time,
jonathanharris@e... writes:

> The upper photo on page 47 of The Burlington in Transition shows the
> Exposition Flyer running through Red Oak, Iowa in 1945. The first car in
> the train is a single-door, round-roofed, steel (or metal-sheathed) baggage
> car, which doesn't resemble any Burlington car I know. To my naive eye it
> looks like a Harriman car. The same (or similar) car appears in Wilson's
> Burlington Route Across the Heartland, page 63, as the second car in Train
> No. 12 (Ak-sar-ben), about the same location and around the same time -- or
> maybe a few years later. Is this a Burlington car?

Jonathan,

This is not a Burlington car. This is a Baltimore and Ohio C-15
baggage-express car. Also, (in Wilson's book) this is the relatively newly
refurbished Nebraska Zephyr (no. 11/12). Note the articulated consist has
been amplified with three 52 seat coaches after the head-end cars. I'm glad
you pointed out this picture. I have not seen too many pictures from this
era with so many head-end cars on the NZ. Usually, you just see it with the
Argo or Olympus streamlined baggage cars.

The C-15's originally came in Pullman green and were later painted blue (and
yes, Pete, this car was covered in Spoor's presentation on foreign head-end
cars:-) Westerfield makes a resin kit and this car was imported by MTS in
factory finish a few years ago.

Rich