Re: Standard Gauge, and Suspicions Confirmed

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Standard Gauge, and Suspicions Confirmed
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:58:00 -0800
Re: the origins of 4' 81/2" standard gauge: There are more "urban legends" on this subject abounding than Carter has pills. However, all have some basic elements, however narrow, that have some ground in truth. The basic fact to keep in mind is that standard gauge as we know it is distinctly arbitrary, and results from an accident of history.

Standard gauge of 4' 8-1/2" is what we know it today because that is the gauge to which George Stephenson built his first railway (Stockton & Darlington); and the reason that Stephenson chose that gauge is that it happened to be the pre-existing gauge of the long-pre-existing Darlington Collery wagon-way (tram way) for which Stephenson built his first locomotive.

The Darlington line was just one of a vast network of wood collery wagon ways around Newcastle that started to arise in about the 1770s to enable coal to be more easily transported to the nearest water- the only transport then available to supply fuel to the onrushing Industrial Revolution..

These tramways were built to handle the freight wagons of the day. Common wagon width would of course have been that which would practically allow passage of two such vehicles on an ordinary road, and what could ordinarily be pulled by a single horse, or two horses side by side. The exact width of the axles would have of course reflected this pragmatic "standard", but would also have would and could have been a wide variety of widths.

As a result, these wood (and then wood and iron, and some eventually iron alone) tram ways had no common standard. Some were as narrow as about 4', while others were as much as 6' or more. Pick a number between, and there was an excellent chance that there was a wagon way for that gauge as well. One can only speculate on the reasons for a chosen gauge in any instance, but it is reasonable supposition that what was built depended upon the particular type of (road) wagons that the collery had already in hand (or could purchase). A common requirement, however, was that the "rails" had to be wide enough apart to allow clearance for a file of single horses to safely walk/trot down the center.

Just why the Darlington Collery line was originally built to 4' 8-1/2" is of course totally lost to history.

The overwhelming success, fame, and influence of the Stephensons became such that their inherited and completely arbitrary gauge of 4' 8-1/2" became the eventual standard in England,and then in this country. BTW, this was not even standard gauge here until Abraham Lincoln made the momentous decision (1863?) that the Transcontinental Railroad was to be built to this exact gauge.

Quite a bit of this information comes from a very thick English scholarly work in my library on the wood tramways of England (not currently in hand) purchased many years ago. I do hope that I have recalled the details accurately.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA