Re: Mark Twain Zephyr for sale.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Mark Twain Zephyr for sale.
From: "bill_og" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:57:37 -0000
I checked out the web site that Mike listed below. The Mark Twain
Zephyr looks like it needs a lot of work. It was interesting to see
the shape of the bare structure. Was the inside gutted of all walls,
fixtures, etc. in preparation for restoration or as part of
vandalism and neglect?

I had read somewhere that back in 1960, the Smithsonian Institution
had hoped to receive the Pioneer Zephyr, but as you know Chicago's
Museum of Science & Industry received it. After all these years, I
wonder if the Smithsonian would be interested in aquiring the MTZ
instead ? If they did, the train's future preservation would at
least be secure and it would probably eventually be restored.
Although far from Burlington territory, it would be great to have
CB&Q & the Zephyrs represented in Washington, D.C. at the
Smithsonian. I understand that the 4th car of the MTZ was
originally the 4th car of the PZ; at least the Smithsonian could get
25% of the PZ out of the deal!

In 1999, there was a group called something like Baine Station
Society at Milwaukee's TrainFest that had a booth set up. They were
interested in aquiring the MTZ and operating it in Kenosha & Racine
Counties in Wisconsin. Does anyone know if this group is still
activly seeking the MTZ ?

Does anyone know if the train is in danger of being scrapped if no
buyer is found?

Bill H.

--- In BRHSlist@y..., atsf3460@a... wrote:
> http://www.railmerchants.net/forsale/index.htm
>
> Okay, who in the Society is just outrageously wealthy and wants to
own their
> own shovelnose Zephyr set?!? I vote the first fan trip we run it
on be
> Savanna to LaCrosse and return! I'll even volunteer to drive the
Zipper for
> us since I now have vast experience in engineering a train (got to
play
> engineer down at Monticello with an Alco FPA4 this past fall!).
>
> Found the link on the IlliniRail Yahoo Group while the group was
discussing
> the stuff up at Relco in Minooka, IL. Go down to where the MTZ is
shown and
> then it will take you to pictures of the MTZ in its current state.
No price