Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Red-winged Blackbirds

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Red-winged Blackbirds
From: "William Franckey" <budapest@g...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:54:08 -0600
Jonathan and List,
Growing up in and around railroaders through the 50's and 60's, the words
greybacks and redbirds were very common terms indeed. When the hotshots had
a SD-7 or 9 stuck between two pair of greybacks, the crews really thought
they had something. When the new red color began to appear, redbirds meant
newer, more powerful locomotives which meant getting back home quicker thus
redbirds was a word that conveyed a lot of meaning. Out of the roundhouse,
the cans of Dupont Gloss Black and smaller cans of the new "red" were used
on more things than locomotives. I don't ever remember any railroaders using
the term "blackbirds." Blackbirds might have been used early on but I never
heard the expression.
Bill