Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Passenger horn sound

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: Passenger horn sound
From: "Stephen Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:56:15 -0600
Cc: <Westchalco@a...>
I looked at the http://atsf.railfan.net/airhorns/ 5 chime consultants site.

>From what I remembered the horns as sounding like, I would guess that the E
>units used Leslie Supertyfon horn model S2M. The horns sounded to me to be
>identical to the NYC E-unit horns, which were reportedly, according to this
>site, this model horn. Pictures of Q E-units in books like Chicago's Passenger
>trains show a horn that looks like an S2M, along with another single horn.

New York Central's E unit horn would often emit a shrill high-pitched whistle
indicating the horn needed cleaning. Only on one trip, westbound on #1 on
December 31, 1966, did I encounter a Q E-unit with that problem, and that was
the one leading our train.

sjl

Stephen and Linda Levine
steveandlindaare@c...
If trains were just for kids...we wouldn't wanna grow up!