Re: [BRHSlist] 27-Jan-67 A Personal View, (Long)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 27-Jan-67 A Personal View, (Long)
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:21:56 EST
Russ

Thanks for the great account of a night in the tower. We need more of this
kind of stuff on here so that those who have no experience or memories of
"how it used to be" can experience albeit "vicariously" the old days.

I had a few similar experiences during my trainmastering days at Joliet and
Blue Island on the Rock Island. I appreciated your comments regarding the
mail...One of the early things I learned was "you don't mess with the mail or
the RPO"s I had a little experience with an RPO one night in the LaSalle St.
station which I'll relate on here sometime soon. One thing you learned
quick is that whatever the RPO clerks want they get.....If they
don't..."We're lockin up this car"....

Also your comments about the helpfulness of the "official" who appeared and
really helped....didn't make decisions... Believe it or not there were a few
like that.

I write a piece each month for our Lincoln Railfan's Club newsletter called
"Back in the Days"...after the old Harry Temple cartoons in RAILROAD. I have
tried to relate some of my experiences of 35 + years ago as you have done.
Sometimes I think the guys think that I make that stuff up....Sometimes I do
"embellish" it a little, but it's pretty much true to life as it was then.
I trust that you won't object to my using your piece in my column next month.
I just finished my February article yesterday or I would use it this time.

I liked your analysis of the DS comment..."I'm not going to authorize
anything and I don't want to hear about it"....Allows for a little personal
initiative and what my dad used to call..."being a self starter".

Keep up the good work. Hope we can meet sometime.

Pete Hedgpeth