Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago's winter of 1967

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago's winter of 1967
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@h...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:59:52 -0800
Bcc:
Jan 27, 1967. I worked at Motorola on Agusta Blvd. At about 2 PM they announced that we were closing the plant and started letting employees out. But the the time my buddy and I got to our cars, they were burried in the parking lot. Fortunately, he lived only about 1 and a half miles from the plant, so we walked to his apartment in Oak Park where I spent the night. The next day I hitched hiked home to south Berwyn, took about 2 hours to go the 6 miles.

As I remember the reports, we got 27 inches in 27 hours. I keep all the newspapers for several days - still have them. I lived only 3 blocks south of the Q main line. So I loaded up my camera and took several pictures of the Berwyn station which had been cleaned by then. Got some shots of suburban trains and maybe even one of the Zephyrs passing through.

I have photos of my home on East Ave., even set up an HO diorama for an outside shot in a snow bank! Some of the best photos are of a large grader clearing a single path down East Ave, then sliding off the road into the curb in front of my home and getting stuck. It took about 1/2 hour before he was able to get it out and back on the road again.

3 days later I was able to go back to Motorola to get my car.

In 1973 I was happy to be transfered to sunny California, San Jose and what do you know, we got hit with SNOW yesterday, a dusting on the ground, but an inch or more in the Santa Cruz foot hills just 10 minutes away!

Ray Bedard