Re: Film and West Quincy Question.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Film and West Quincy Question.
From: "John and Carmen Jacobs" <jjacobs@s...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:10:13 -0600
Disposition-notification-to: "John and Carmen Jacobs" <jjacobs@s...>
Hi All,

First of all the question on the Alexandria branch. From everything I've seen
and been told locally, the run originated out of Keokuk. It ran with that
little SW1 up until the line was torn up by BN. If you drive Hwy 61 north to
Keokuk, you cross over the old right-of-way about a mile or two south of where
the road from Wayland MO connects south of Alexandria. It is just south of a
small bridge over a drainage ditch and the roadbed can almost be mistaken for a
levee.

As for the film question, Burlington John can back me up on this one. We both
shot Fuji film on a trip to Precision National/Mt. Vernon and CO&E in 1980.
When we got our slides back (Processed a reputable photo shop) they had blue
streaks in some of them. Back to Kodachrome immediately. Last year I was a
photo shop in Quincy having some photo's copied and I discussed the pro's and
con's of Kodachrome vs. Fujichrome. The owner of the shop has a degree in
chemistry and has studied the chemical composition of both. She stated when
they first put Fujichrome on the market in 1980 (of course!) they had a problem
with the chemistry of the film (Strike one) where it left streaks on some
slides (Strike two). She then stated that they have improved it sense then to
where most of the professional photographers now use it over Kodachrome. She
said it now has a longer life span than Kodachrome on how long the slides last
before any breakdown of the chemical composition takes place. Course I bought a
roll but have yet to use it as I went digital (Nikon 775 Coolpix).

I still have immense faith in Kodachrome but now the main problem is just
finding the darn stuff!

Enough babbling from me.

Regards and Happy Hunting!

John Jacobs (aka Q-GP30)