Re: [BRHSlist] Head End Cars To A Branch

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Head End Cars To A Branch
From: Mike Spoor <CBQRR@j...>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 08:25:02 -0600
Cc: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
List folks:

There is a good example of head end cars on a banch in Illinois where
baggage cars, express cars (ex troop kitchens), express boxcars and REA
cars went up the Mt. Morris branch to be loaded at Kable Printing in Mt.
Morris. Over the years Kable printed lots of magazines, inserts for the
Sunday Chicago Tribume, and even Playboy, all of which got printed in Mt.
Morris and shipped out of Mt. Morris via head end cars. I have
interviewed some of the old timers who recall little R-class locomotives
doubling the hill out of Mt. Morris with 16-20 head end cars filled with
catalogs.

There are some other fellows on the list who can probably expand on the
Mt. Morris operation, but I hope this is helpful.

Mike Spoor