Re: [BRHSlist] 44-tonner update

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 44-tonner update
From: Norm Metcalf <metcalf@a...>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 18:41:45 -0700
Randy Gordon-Gilmore wrote:

> I was finally able to get over to SimsMetal this afternoon, and talked to a
> Michael Cunha there. He says that they actually have two 44-tonners, one
> bought from the Napa Valley Wine Train and one bought from Arcata & Mad
> River. One is running and the other is a parts donor. He doesn't know
> which is which at this point, and both were painted in the company colors
> after they bought them. I wasn't able to go and see the motors, but did
> get an invitation to come back in "3 or 4 weeks" and I'd be able to look at
> and photograph them. Michael said that many employees there are railfans,
> and there has been a lot of interest in the 44-tonners. Someone came 3 or
> 4 years ago from back East, who was compiling data on all the center-cab
> switchers. Michael thinks that both motors have thier builder's plates, so
> if possible I'll take a photo or rubbings when I go back. So it sounds
> promising, but no concrete identification yet.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Randy

> zephyrus@r... http://www.rickadee.net/~zephyrus

According to R. H. Lehmuth's CALIFORNIA RAILGUIDE - NORTHERN the Sims Metal -
America locos at Richmond CA are as follows:
1 GE 30464, Aug 1950, 44-ton, ex AMR 102, Guy F. Atkinson Contractors 2850 nee
Pine Flat Dam Contractors 2850

2 GE 12951, Feb 1941, 44-ton, ex NVRR 50, CPLT 2, CPLT 102, BN 3, CBQ 9106

Norm Metcalf, Boulder CO