Re: [BRHSlist] OS Out West

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] OS Out West
From: "VLBG" <VLBG@s...>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 18:14:56 -0600
Gary,

I think you have more than one "Resident DS" but I'll defer to SJH
on a seniority basis.

The process you were talking about is commonly called "Rolling up
track". I'm a little surprised that the ATSF Dispatchers use the term
"OS" in connection with this process.

That whole process can be real fun when you have a group of trains
moving in dark territory such as Amarillo to Estelline. In that
situation I try to stick with a 10" interval. If you get stuck with 4 or
5 in a row the actual time it takes to complete the process is about
3" so that 10" gets compressed down to 7" or less. Yes, there will
be trains running out of track but there is not much way to do it any
faster. There are always Detectors going off and so forth that just
eats up the time. Verbiage used? "BNSF Amarillo Dispatcher to
BNSF 9906 for a milepost by and a warrant". Think I've noticed
that the Engineer usually releases the track and then the Conductor
copies and repeats the warrant. That helps also.

Whatever,

Russ