Re: Rights of Trains

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Rights of Trains
From: "jghtech" <theboss@j...>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 17:33:36 -0000
Hello Mike Decker and BRHS List,

Ran across Mike's and others long ago postings regarding Rights of
Trains and thought I would add my 2 cents.

Rights of Trains was originally authored by Harry W. Forman in 1904
and revised by him in 1925. Peter Josserand produced revised editions
in 1945, 1951 and 1957.

Forman and Josserand both worked for the Western Pacific. Josserand
in the forward to the 1945 edition wrote "It was with the feeling of
one who tries to walk in the shoes of a giant that I undertook
this revision. Mr. Forman was perhaps the greatest train rules
examiner of his time......."

In addition to Rights of Trains a few other books where published on
the subject such as: Train Rules and Train Dispatching by H. A.
Dalby, 1904; and Train Operation by William Nichols, 1916, 1920.

Josserand also wrote a column in Railroad Magazine that pertained to
this subject.

>From my understanding the end of Timetable and Train Order operation
came in 1989 with the second edition of the General Code of Operating
Rules. In which the rules pertaining to Superiority of Trains and the
Rules for Movement by Train Orders where eliminated. This effectively
ended 100 years of railroad operating practice that started in
1889 with the Uniform Train Rules and Rules for the Movement of
Trains by Telegraphic Orders.

My personal interest in Timetable and Train Order operation is due to
the fact that we operate the 7.5 inch gage single track steam powered
Deerfield and Roundabout Railway by those very rules. For
those interested please visit
http://jghtech.com/html/live-steam-index.html

Does any one on the list know of any railroad in the USA that is
still using T&TO operating rules in the 21st Century?

On a personal note: Mike Decker, are you the former Engr. from the
RGN? If so, then I remember you from the Golden years of the RGN. I
must give credit to Norman and you for starting my interest in
"Livesteam." Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey G. Hook
mailto:theboss@j...