Re: [BRHSlist] Nickel Plated Passenger Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Nickel Plated Passenger Cars
From: Aeolus3@a...
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:00:55 EST
In a message dated 12/3/01 9:29:42 PM Central Standard Time, dhelec@a...
writes:

> I've got a chance to pick up some plated passenger cars (Shoreham and
> Oriental) for a good price the only problem is that the finish has gone
> south. There appears to be some type of a lacquer sprayed or oversprayed to
> cover a rather crappy decal job. Is there any way to salvage this finish or
> should these cars be written off?

Chances are it's the decal work and the old finish that is the problem. I
have more than a few of the Oriental and Shoreham cars and I have never found
a plating problem with the nickel silver.

Now before you waste alot of time and money, as I did, go to an auto paint
shop and buy a product called "The Peeler". I have used it on nickel plated
cars as well as painted brass cars with no damage to the brass or the nickel
plating. This is the only thing I found that would strip the factory finish
on the Shoreham cars. You can not decal on the Shoreham cars without striping
them first. The finish on my cars, I have the Denver Zephyr and Twin Zephyr
cars, had runs, very thick, and had area of the cars that had no coating at
all.

When using the peeler make sure you have good gloves, well vented, and you
will find it might take two or three times to get the coating off the cars.

Good Luck