Francis, MO (Mexico, MO GM&O / CB&Q connection)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Francis, MO (Mexico, MO GM&O / CB&Q connection)
From: atsf3460@a...
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 03:21:24 EST
Earlier this year someone (John Lee maybe) was asking for information on
Francis, MO. Saturday morning I got a chance to walk around in the woods and
get muddy exploring this area on the northeast side of Mexico, MO. Found the
roadbed and where the connection was but I think the GM&O tracks have
possibly been greatly raised in this area. Nothing looks like it should look
according to Terraserver. Found some foundations for what might have been a
coaling facility or something. There is a creek running through this area
too. I may have been too far west and in the wrong location. Just up from
here is a rickety spur that runs to National Refractories off of the GM&O.
It's still active. The picture of Francis shown in Mike Spoor's recent Q
book does not seem to match anything in the area ... I'm not saying it's
captioned incorrectly but I suspect it's furthur into the town of Mexico if
it's from that area - I may also be totally and completely wrong on that one
also! I hope to go back to that area on my own when I have more time to poke
around.

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL