Budd Baggage Cars (post war)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Budd Baggage Cars (post war)
From: SilvrDome@a...
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 17:11:05 EST
I hope to operate model "Zephyrs" as realistic as possible. It appears
during the glory years of passenger railroading, that baggage cars (i.e.
Silver Coyote, Olympus, Silver Treasure, etc.) operated with the double doors
forward, and the single door at the rear. What was the reasoning behind this
practice?

Later, it seems in the late sixties or early seventies no regard was given to
this method of operation. (Now, whenever I see a former Zephyr baggage car
on an Amtrak train, I always take note to see if it's pointed properly.)

Can anyone explain Burlington's policy with regards to forward operation of
post war bags? Did it have to do with belt driven generator for the battery,
and protecting the belt from roadbed debris?

Curios!

Hubert Hanrahan