5632 Excursion Mystery

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: 5632 Excursion Mystery
From: "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@m...>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 10:59:55 -0800
Bcc:
Dear List,

My good friend and Railroad Teacher Wayne Beever (the retired Burlington station agent in Palmyra, Missouri) recently sent me an interesting series of three photographs. It is of a special Burlington westbound passenger excursion passing through Palmyra, Missouri and is headed up by the 5632.

Wayne is pretty sure that he took the pix in July of 1963 and that the occasion was to celebrate the start of the Transcontinental Railroad. I have Lloyd Stagner?s book, ?Burlington Route Steam Finale? and there is nothing specific about this trip mentioned.

What makes the train interesting is the diverse consist, certainly unlike any other Q steam trip. I can?t positively identify every car, but from what I can tell, here is the lineup:

5632 itself
CB&Q Havelock Baggage (green)
CB&Q Dome (not one of the pattern domes)
New Haven car, unknown type
New Haven car, unknown type
CB&Q Diner Silver Salver (built in 1948 for the Twin Cities Zephyr)
Southern Pacific Car, unknown type
Pennsylvania Car, unknown type
Unknown lightweight car(possibly New York Central? Silver scheme, black top)
Unknown car, line unknown
Illini Railroad Club heavyweight observation, Chief Illini

Can anybody out there provide any details on this trip?

Thanks in advance,

John Lewis