Re: [BRHSlist] CBQ waycar 14446

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CBQ waycar 14446
From: "35582 - ginger shipley" <muffie@i...>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:14:13 -0700
Cc: bshirley@a...

> The local historical society is refurbishing a Q caboose # 14446.
> What they would like to know is what color it was painted. They also
> need to know which emblem it had. When they got it, it had an all
> white emblem on one side and a white with black background on the
> other. I have done some research and can only find it in mineral red
> with the all white emblem.
>
> While they were doing repairs they came across what they think was
> chinese red. Please note that this caboose was in pretty sad shape
> when they got it, so it will be difficult to tell if it was really
> chinese red or something that someone else put on it after it left
> service. If anyone has any info such as colors or better yet a
> picture of it, they would really appreciate it.

Bud:

Your caboose (CB&Q 14446) is an NE-6 class waycar constructed at the
CB&Q's Aurora Shops (IL) in June of 1910. It transferred to the
Burlington Northern under the assigned number BN 11125. It was sold to
the Oregon Pacific & Eastern Railway in June of 1975. (The OP&E was a
Pacific Northwest short line which, for a time, dabbled in tourist
operations using restored steam and vintage equipment.)

>From the time it was built until at least 1958, 14446 would have been
painted mineral red and, prior to the early 1940s, its Burlington Route
herald would have had a black background. All lettering was in
Railroad Roman. Beginning in the late 50s, waycars being shopped for
repairs or routine maintenance would have been repainted in Chihese Red
and would have received either the white-line herald or (in rarer
cases) a scotchlite sticker of the three-color herald as used on
GP/SD/U-boat locomotives. Since wooden cars were normally repainted at
ten-year intervals, we may assume from the lack of BN Green paint that
14446 did manage to become Chinese Red.

On the other hand, 14446 would have spent approximately 50 years of its
65-year service life in the classic mineral red scheme. I would
strongly recommend restoration in the original scheme. Please note:
The mineral red scheme included *everything* except the black color of
the tarred canvas roof. Please resist the temptation to paint trim,
hardware, trucks or underbody in some contrasting color for "show". It
has been done, and looks awful <grin>.

I am in the process of developing full-coverage waycar decal sheets for
MicroScale, and youo will be able to use that source for the lettering
and number font and herald specifics (as well as sizes).

Good luck with your restoration!

Marshall Thayer