Re: [BRHSlist] Purdy, WI

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Purdy, WI
From: "TheVLBG" <TheVLBG@s...>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:28:28 -0500
John:

I'm sorry but that was a trick question. I just threw it out
there when there was all the discussion about long gone places
in Southern Iowa.

You are very perceptive in actually knowing that there was such
a place.

The original construction at that location was in 1886. A 2nd
track was laid between MP 337.9 and MP 351.33 in 1913. The
section from MP 324 to 337.9 was not double tracked until 1927.

Purdy was at or just slightly to the West of MP 337.9. It's
useful existence only spanned the years between 1913 and 1927.
MP 337.9 is the East end of the long straight away that ended
in the little curve just to the West of the Cochrane depot.
That would be just a little over 5 miles.

If you are in the area Indian Creek Rd. crosses the tracks in
the middle of the 337.1 to 337.9 curve. Until 1927 that would
have been single track. The concrete underpass where Bechly Rd.
goes under the tracks is MP 338.13. This was built as a
pedestrian subway to reach Dam 5. With the amount of bottom
land between that point and Dam 5 that seems very strange but
the geography may have looked much different at that time.

Purdy was between the end of that curve and the concrete underpass
or just to the West of the underpass. There are building
foundations out there but I just can not remember if they are
to the East or West of the underpass.

The only map I ever saw the station name on was included with the
leases of the land that Buffalo Lumber and Tie uses. Their lease
showed that the property was at "Purdy Wis.".

That is as much as I know about the subject.

The VLBG