Re: [BRHSlist] new to list

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] new to list
From: "35582 - ginger shipley" <muffie@i...>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:10:35 -0700

> Greetings,
> I am new to the CB&Q list and I plan to join the BRHS. I want to
> model a branchline of the CB&Q. When did the first GP7/9, SD7/9's get
> the chinese red paint jobs. That will help me narrow down my dates.
> Thanks, Malcolm Byrd

Malcolm -

Are you trying to include the RedBirds, or avoid them? I ask because
branchline Geeps and SDs didn't get red until fairly late. You didn't
need a lot of heavy maintenance on branchline motors, and repaints were
generally saved up for heavy maintenance or repairs. You wouldn't
generally see a lot of redbirds on branches until maybe '65 . . .

On the other hand, the first Chinese Red paint scheme on power was the
SD-24s on delivery in May of '59. Earlier power began being repainted
in the new scheme shortly thereafter.

Remember that some blackbirds actually made it to merger, so you might
want to have at least one, just for "nostalgia".

OTOH, if you want to avoid red power on your branchline, any time
before 1960 would look OK, and you could even push it 2 or 3 years
farther without raising eyebrows.

Marshall Thayer