Re: [BRHSlist] Excursion Gons

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Excursion Gons
From: "35582 - ginger shipley" <muffie@i...>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 17:12:16 -0700

> Before everyone starts heading for Kentucky I'm trying to get
information and
> pics of the gons that were used in the fantrips. What kind were they?
Paint?
> Number, etc? I figured I'd hit the list before starting into the
library and
> maybe avoid a few paper cuts.TIA. Dan H.

I don't have the car number, but the gon used on 4960's last run (July
17, 1966) was a 50' composite mill gon in mineral red. The rear had a
stencilled pice of white cardboard reading "DENROCK ZEPHYR" (two lines).
To the right of the sign was a chalked "Burlington Route" herald, and
to the left, more chalk reading "Another R. W. Menk Improvement". Both
sides of the gon were chalked with the name "SILVER GONDOLA". The
cardboard tailsign may have been supplied by the railroad; I'm certain
the chalkwork was by passengers/fans.

Marshall (who was there) Thayer