ICC ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION REPORTS

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, ritslist@s...
Subject: ICC ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION REPORTS
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:52:07 EDT
All right you guys wanting info on railroad accidents involving specific
engines etc....LISTEN UP AND TAKE NOTES

http://specialcollections.tasc.dot.gov/ is the web address. Click on ICC
Historical Railroad Investigation Reports (1911-1966).

When you get to the Table of Contents go to the year you want and you will
find the reports listed by railroad in chronological order.

Be forewarned. If you are interested railroading as it used to be before
CTC, ABS, Track Warrants etc this stuff is addictive. In the same manner as
I used to reread my old Railroad Magazine fiction stories much to the
consternation of my dad, I now go down about every evening and read a few of
the old accident reports. You can even catch a bit of the drama involved,
especially in the older matters. If you go back to the real early ones they
even gave the names of the crew. The later reports only refer to the
enginemen, conductor, brakeman etc.

Some of the reports, but very few, have photographs. The Marble Rock affair
does.

The reports even include boiler explosions and in one instance the death of a
machinist who got his raincoat caught in the radiator fan of a Baldwin
Switcher and got beaten to his death on the shaft (cheery stuff huh).

Not every accident in the universe is included. The criteria seems to be
whether a personal injury or death of either passengers or employees was
involved..

Pete Hedgpeth