Re: Details on the new HO O-5's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Details on the new HO O-5's
From: dcdewi@a...
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 04:02:13 -0000
Scott,

I can comment on the new Oriental CB&Q O-5s. (The Challenger versions
are near but have not arrived yet and will likely be several hundred
dollars more expensive.)

In general most all of the recent better brass models have
directional lighting in the loco and tender if appropriate and have
factory installed glass in the windows. This includes the Oriental O-
5s and I would be very surprised if the Challenger version did not
include this feature as it is standard for current Samhongsa models.
Other hand it is very rare to have an HO model delivered with working
marker lights and most are delivered with the marker light castings
only. The modeler can add lenses or jewels if desired.

Front couplers for double heading vary widely with the model. Most
of the time dummy coupler castings are supplied as is the case with
the Oriental O-5s. The can be doubled headed, but the dummy couplers
generally do not have as much lateral movement and are more
restrictive than a typical Kadee. Solid pilots like on the front of
many O-5s present a real challenge to balance appearance vs working
capabilities.

Oriental has imported 4 versions of the O-5.

#5601 - open cab, elesco FWH, coal
#5617 - open cab, worthington FWH, coal
#5629 - closed cab, worthington FWH, oil
#5630 - closed cab, worthington FWH, coal

See page 77, July Mainline Modeler for more details.

These are beautiful models with excellent appearance and detail and
at a much lower price than most new brass pieces of this caliber.
They run very quite and smooth. (I had a chance to check out several)
My only concern was the CB&Q hearald on the tender is a bit bright
for my taste. Am considering masking off and toning down with a
dilute black over spray. I do not know who built these Korean models
for Oriental.

Hope this helps.

Dale DeWitt

--- In BRHSlist@y..., arnold299@a... wrote:
> Hi Listers,
> I am wondering if the new Challenger or Oriental Limited O-5's have
upgraded
> features that many of the new plastic steam locomotives have.
>
> Do either brands have directional lighting? Or does the rear tender
light
> even light up?
>
> Will the front coupler actually work for double heading?
>
> I know the Challenger has glass in the windows, but does the
Oriental Limited?