Re: [BRHSlist] U-Boats in HO

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] U-Boats in HO
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@h...>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:30:48 -0600
It's nice to see manufacturers doing research and getting inside
information from those that are 'in-the-know' about locomotive paint schemes
before they release new products. We have come a long way since 'uncle' Irv
Athearn's GP-7/9's (no one could ever figure out which one they were) in
Chinese Red with solid Gray cabs and Red roof fans or the 'Blackbird' ones
he did with solid Gray cabs and no Yellow stripes- just Red only!!!!!! And
then there were those F-7's in the Red/Gray/White scheme sort of like a New
Haven McGinnis off-take. Don't know where he pulled that one from? I can
only guess!

On another note- we need to be patient with Walthers on their new Budd
passenger car program. The key word here is 'program'. I have heard from
reliable sources that Walthers in ready to re-establish itself as the
premiere maker of HO passenger cars, like it was in the 50's and 60's with
their Heavyweights. Without saying too much- I can say that there is a
strong commitment to the program and it will cover several years or more.
All one has to do is look at the 'core kit' design they have made and
realize all they have to do is make new sides, under floors and roofs that
snap into place on the 'core kit' to make an infinite variety of different
cars. Even smooth sides! Even 'full' skirted Budd cars! Maybe even Budd
Domes. Don't let Walther's new product design team get 'turned off' by
being overly critical at this point. This whole program is a labor of love
for them and they take pride in what they are doing. A lot of new future
products have not made it past the drawing board because of overzealous
criticism. It's OK if the Santa Fe, NYC, UP and Amtrak fans are doing
joyous back flips right now- our turn might be coming!

John Olson-owner
Jim's Junction
Billings, Mt.
406-259-5354 Store, Answering machine & Fax machine
<trains28@h...>
<http://www.jimsjunction.com>
Selling quality HO/N Scale items for 15 years- Worldwide shipping available