Re: [BRHSlist] Centerville combine

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Centerville combine
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:06:48 EDT
I believe that kliner has the last official and accurate word re the
Centerville Combine...I for one appreciate his detail. Keep up the stories.
I live by them.

Just to clear up the record....Last night after writing that I saw a picture
somewhere of the railfan special from Keokuk to Humeston in 1958 showing
along with the heavyweight coaches the combine on the rear. I remembered
that it was in Corbin's book Across Iowa on the Keokuk and Western and
Humeston and Shenandoah.

Speaking of Centerville, it has long been on my to do list to make a "journey
to yesterday" in search of SEDAN. Sedan no longer exists, but I "have a
thing" about finding where things that are no more used to be. Robert Brown,
who most of you know, has provided me with a bit of information regarding the
"townsite", but I haven't followed up on it yet. I had planned to do so in
connection with a trip to the Old Threshers Reunion in Mt. Pleasant over the
Labor Day weekend, but wife has put out a holding order on that trip for this
year.

Just wondering if anyone has been to Sedan in the last few years. I
understand that there is now nothing whatever there now. The only photo I
have ever seen is in Corbin's book Across Iowa.....There were at one time
rails running in 5 directions from Sedan. Just like Clarinda which at one
time had 6 lines radiating.

Pete Hedgpeth