Re: [BRHSlist] E's on Heavyweights.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] E's on Heavyweights.
From: "muffie" <muffie@i...>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:41:16 -0500
Denny -

There were at least four other heavyweight Pullmans which were modernized and
"silvered" - for service with the 1st Texas Zephyr. I don't remember all the
names offhand, but believe one was "Lariat Crest". I can picture these roaming
Lines West after the 1st DZ became the 2nd TZ.

As to the original premise of this thread, once all steam was gone from
passenger service (circa 1955), all the remaining heavyweight equipment either
had to be hauled by Es, or stay in a yard someplace <grin>. I remember the
overnight mail trains through Burlington IA in the mid 60s - all heavyweight,
and often hauled by E-5s until they were traded in . . .

Marshall