Burlington "Motors" vs "Locomotives"

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Burlington "Motors" vs "Locomotives"
From: "Dave_Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 21:18:03 -0500
Disposition-notification-to: "Dave_Lotz" <dave_lotz@e...>
I have been asked a question regarding Burlington's use of the term "motors"
when referring to their diesels. Here's what I understand, please correct
me if I'm wrong.

On the Burlington, steam units were called engines and diesel units were
called motors.

For F-units, prior to the A,B,C,D suffixes, the multiple units connected
that had one number constituted a motor and when the suffixes added, the
term changed to motors. The singular motor referred to one road number, the
plural referred to multiple road numbers.

The Burlington did not refer to either steam or diesels as locomotives.

Anxiously waiting to see if my understanding is correct...

Dave Lotz