Re: Q U-boats, red vs. green, etc.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Q U-boats, red vs. green, etc.
From: mack@c...
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:59:49 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., GORDON SMITH <kc2bw@w...> wrote:

> mack@c... wrote:
> >

> > The U30C and U23C are virtually indestinguishable from each other,
> > having the same full-height radiator carbody (GE seemed to love to
> > to switch engines withoutmaking carbody changes). However, because
> > of the U23C's smaller engine, it actually has less full-height
> > engine access doors on the hood vs. the U30
> >

> = The U30 series phase II had angled sheet metal at the top
foreward
> = end of the radiator housing bulge going to the top of the engine
room
> hood.
>

> > Where it starts to get confuding is when the 10 U30B's 140-
> > 149 came in also in 1966. These Actually started life as U28B's
but
> > were immediately upgraded to 3000 HP U30B's. Since GE used the
Phase
> > II U28B carbodies on their Phase I U30B's these 10 U30B units are
> > identical to the 10 U28B's. Again, the identification plate is
about
> > the only thing that differentiates them on the Q.
>
> = The U28bs weren't upgraded untill the summer of 68 according to
Al
> Holck's
> = book and photographic evidence shows that they kept the original
U28
> = model plates.
>
> Gordon

Gordon:

Thanks for the additional input, especially in regard to the
U28B/U30B upgrades. The little radiator flairing on the U30/U23 is an
often missed detail. To add to the U28B/U30B upgrade thread:

A picture by Dave Goss dated April 1968 does indeed show U28Bm 140
still having the U28B identification plate (unknown if this is
definitely before the upgrade, but probably so if upgrades began in
the summer):

http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/cbq/cbq140.jpg

However, a picture by Dave Goss of U28Bm 141 dated July 1969 shows
unit 141 to have a U30B identification plate:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/cbq/cbq141.jpg

Especially interesting is the change in the POSITION of the
identification plate. The U28B plate is at the very front of the
unit, right over the GE builders plate and forward of the Q loco
number on 140, whereas the U30B plate was attached under the Q loco
number on 141. I will check any other photos to see if any other
U28Bm's got the U30B builders plates. Also interesting is a shot of
CB&Q Phase II U30B 150 shot by Dave Goss (date unknown) which has NO
identification plate:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/cbq/cbq150.jpg

A final note regarding the identification plates: It appears that the
plates were located in a slightly different position on the right
(engineer's) side of the U28B's then the left side. This was due to
the door arrangements under the cab being different on the right and
left side of the units. Since the plate was attached to the door, it
had to be moved slightly back on the right side (note following
photo).

http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/cbq/cbq111.jpg

Any photo/date input from any other members on this one would be very
helpful.

Tom