Heavyweight passenger cars?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Heavyweight passenger cars?
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:35:12 -0800
Greetings,

I've just joined the list (and BRHS) and am happy to find such a strong
community of interest among Burlington fans.

For some time, I've been keeping my eyes open for heavyweight passenger
equipment in HO, but there doesn't seem to be anything very close to CB&Q
prototype, either in kit form or ready-made, including brass. The Spectrum
coaches are about the best I've found -- at least they're about the right
length for the 6100 series coaches, and in other respects their general
appearance is plausible, though they're off by 1 window; also the roof
needs to be modified to represent an air-conditioned car, ribs added, etc.
The spectrum combine could be worked on in a similar way to suggest one of
the 3500 series CA-12 cars. But these are only fair compromises, and as far
as I know that's about it. Are there ANY other good possiblities for
kit-bashing? (I'm especially interested in head-end equipment.) I know
nothing, for instance, about the Eastern Car Works cars or other, smaller
manufacturers. I would be willing to spring for a brass model, or two or
three, but they'd have to be pretty doggone close to prototype to justify
the cost.

Any advice much appreciated!
Jonathan Harris

P.S. Searching the message list, I found some discussion a few years back
about getting someone to custom etch or cast us some heavyweight car sides,
but the string petered out, and I assume nothing came of it ...