Re: SD-45 In Chinese Red?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: SD-45 In Chinese Red?
From: "kkd 423" <kkd423@h...>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 00:00:13 -0500
Bcc:
Been lurking..............

I can speak to 1 locomotive only, #524. I was about 17 and was asked to custom paint an Athearn SD45 for a local bank to be used in a railroad display celebrating(oxymoronic to the nth degree) the merger complete with railroad assistance and access to the actual locomotive. I was given access to the locomotive at West Burlington and had 3 or 4 shop painters and officials that stood over my shoulder while various brands of paint were color sampled against a washed, polished SD45.

The paint that matched EXACTLY the already painted #524 was, hold your breath, John Deere Green. This is not a joke. It was a perfect match to the shade of green used by whoever painted the engine new. I painted 1 locomotive that I still own that is truly a different shade than later shades of Cascade Green. Somewhere in my paint archives I still have the original paint that was used for the project. And yes, I did buy it at the local JD dealer, Siems Farm Eqpt. in a pint can. It was A PERFECT MATCH.

That's all the news that's fit to print for now.