Cedar Rapids Gathering

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Cedar Rapids Gathering
From: GEU30CG@a...
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:50:22 EDT
Darren Ferreter GEU30CG@a... and Allan Hunt aohunt@i... are pleased to
announce the first joint gathering of the MN Rail / Cedar Rapids Area Railfan
groups, on Saturday August 25, 2001.

"Home base" will be at the Bertram Community Hall. Bertram is located east of
Cedar Rapids and just east of the Highway 13 / 151 overpass of the ex CNW /
UP "Overland Route." Turn east off Highway 13 /151 just north of the Union
Pacific Railroad overpass, and the town is about a mile to the east. The
Hall is right in the middle of town on Angle and East Alley Street.

If you need a specific map, contact Darren GEU30CG@a... for an easy
downloadable *.gif file.

Schedule for the event? There is none. We will be out there all day
starting about 10:00.

Darren, who handles the Catering service for Coe College in Cedar Rapids,
will provide a small cookout and simple concessions stand in the afternoon
for anyone interested. Beverages will be available all day starting at 10am.

Just to the south of the Hall, toward the UP, is a nice open area adjacent to
the Bertram Municipal Building that will be excellent for viewing trains all
day and photos later in the afternoon. The City of Bertram has given
permission for anyone to park in the city parking lot, and there are large
shade trees next to the parking lot where you can set up lawn chairs. Also,
the owner of the field between the city parking lot and the tracks has given
our group permission to use her property. Three picnic tables will be in
this area.

There are a wide variety of photographic possibilities all within short
distances of our location. Our
spot is the location where the eastbound grade to Mount Vernon begins. To
the east, two grade crossings provide good views of the grade, especially for
eastbound coal trains. There is a detector that gives warning for eastward
movements and grade crossings that will warn of westward movements.

Radio frequencies are 161.040 (UP Road), 160.890 (UP Road west of Fairfax).

A slide projector and screen will be available at the Hall during the day for
anyone's use. About 7pm an "after dark" open showing of slide photographs
will be held until no one wants to watch any more! We will limit shows to
about 60-80 slides apiece, until everyone has showed. So pull your favorite
subjects to share. We will also have a stack loader and tray available.

We do have a small expense in the Hall. Please consider a small contribution
to help defray the cost of the space.

The Cedar Rapids Railfans group will welcome the MN Railers and any other
guests with an interest in railroads, so please come out for a day of
trainwatching, fellowship and photos.

If you wish to spend the night, there are ample motel accommodations in Cedar
Rapids, and one in Mount Vernon.

Further information?

Darren Ferreter
President Cedar Rapids Area Railfan Association
GEU30CG@a... 319-393-4129

Allan Hunt
aohunt@i...
319-624-3132