Re: [BRHSlist] CBQ and TPW in Canton, IL

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CBQ and TPW in Canton, IL
From: Brad Slaney <bradslaney@w...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:19:46 -0700
From: <KPMF16@a...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 8:55 PM

> Jeff,
>
> My model railroad follows the Peoria Subdivision from Galesburg to Peoria.
> I've learned quite a bit of what the operations were to and from Canton to
> Galesburg via Yates City etc. depending on the era.
> Passenger service to Canton lasted unitl early 1961 in the form of trains
47 &
> 48 that ran from St. Louis to St. Paul (#47 westbound to St. Paul) via
the
> cut off at Vermont on the Beardstown Main, then up the line to Lewiston
and
> Canton to Yates City, then up the Peoria Sub. to Galesburg and then up the
> peavine to Savanah, and finally up to St. Paul along the river.
>
> There are a couple of us interested in the operations in this area, so I
> think you'll learn a little. Let me know what you want to know and if I
> don't I can probably find out.
>
> Ken Thompson
> S. Milwaukee, WI

Ken,

I think this service ended before 1961, probably around 1957 or 1958, maybe
prior to that. I don't have a TT handy, but do know that train numbers 47 &
48 eventually were the combined Blackhawk/Western Star/Mainstreeter from
Chicago to St Paul in the summer of 1958, and that train usually had one of
the GN Mountain series observations on the rear end. Had the St
Louis/Savanna - St Paul service still been there in '58 I'd have figured out
a way to ride it.

BRAD