Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Snow Plowing

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Snow Plowing
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@g...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:06:32 -0600
Hi Leo;

No...I never heard anything about him before or since. Last time I remember
seeing him, he pulled up in his Hi-Rail to the waycar ahead of us, about
fifth out at Marietta getting ready to be the afternoon fleet during
trackwork season. When they got done talking to them, they walked back to
our motor. I knew Arrington, and this other guy just introduced himself as
(Somebody) Buchanen. About that time, the fleet starts to move, Buchanen
asks if we'll be pulling soon and are we the last in line? I tell him yes,
to both. Arrington says they're going to Hi-Rail along behind us. Buchanen
says: "I think I'll ride up here, you can't see anything from one of those
damn Hi-Rails." The brakeman offers him the comfortable seat, but he says
he was a Frisco switchman and he can stand to ride the toadstool.

In the middle of the usual afternoon drilling at Owens-Spencer (five West
meeting God-knows-how-many East), the fleet starts to move, and they're
cutting off East-bounders clear back to Upton, how'd we get hot all of a
sudden? As we pass through Newcastle, Arrington calls up and says to ask
the Boss how far he's going to ride. Boss? I said to myself, who IS this
guy anyway...I'll have to admit to not paying any attention to all those
names on the Special Instructions. I just run motors, I ignore the
politics. Anyway...Buchanen says: "Tell him to keep his shirt on, I'll ride
all the way to Donkey Creek with you fellows." So, I repeated it just as
"the Boss" said it, and Arrington said "OK". Then I asked Buchanen who he
was anyway. He gave us a couple of his business cards...turns out he's the
Regional VP, such a deal. We had a good trip the rest of the way, with
Buchanen making jokes about Arrington standing, waving, at every crossing we
passed. I don't remember the date, but we were still handing off our 6th.
Sub. mtys to loading crews at Donkey Creek, and Buchanen and the head man
(who was an "option man" out from Wisconsin) were discussing the upcoming
"option" vote. Must have been in the middle 1980's.

Mike