Current Status of DZ Slumbercoaches

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Current Status of DZ Slumbercoaches
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:43:16 -0500

Jack Deasy wrote:

The attached message mentions the DZ Slumbercoach Silver Slumber as
being for sale by Monad Railway Equipment. It had been priced at about
$32,000. It would be nice if it ended up in a museum.

As many of you know, the Silver Siesta was burned by vandals in
Sunnyside Yard, Queens, NY in the late 80's. The Silver Rest was
scrapped last year.

The only other remaining Slumbercoach, the Silver Repose, as many of you
know, is currently owned by the Tennessee Central Railway Museum in
Nashville, TN. It is used on overnight excursion trips from Nashville
to Cookesville as a crew car. It has a new numberboard by the vestibule
in a somewhat too high position and also has had what appear to be
roomette-sized windows placed in 4 of the eight double rooms. Otherwise
her peer panel is back in unpainted stainless and she still has her car
nameboards with Silver Repose in original, though very faded, Q
lettering. I am told that the plumbing does not work on her (and is too
costly to fix), but otherwise she is kept up fairly well.

There is a nice article by Ralcon Wagner on the TCRM in the current
(August) issue of Railfan and Railroad. The Repose is mentioned briefly
in it. It is excellent reading and I recommend it highly.

sjl