Green Chicago Commute coaches

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Green Chicago Commute coaches
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:23:16 -0700

After the era of the steel open platform commute coaches, and prior to the Budd Gallery cars, the service was provided by steel vestibuled 8-wheeled cars painted (as I recall) in a green and brown. These too had head end power cars, but different than those eventually used with the Gallery cars. I have always presumed that these cars had been converted from the open platform cars, but for some reason never learned how or where (Aurora?). Was this a different head end system than that finally adopted?

I do not recall the Gallery cars and these green cars ever mixed on the same train, but perhaps they were.

This brings to memory a midday commute train stopping in Riverside about 1948-50 with three open platform cars trailing one of the Zephyr shovel nose units. How the mighty had fallen!

BTW, in the years 1939-52 when I lived in Riverside, and the CB&Q was an integral part of our everyday lives, I never remember any of these trains being referred as "Scoots". Perhaps that was a later adoption.

Denny
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California