Re: [BRHSlist] Of Dynamometer & Rail Cars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Of Dynamometer & Rail Cars
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 16:43:47 -0500
From: "Paul/Celine Kossart" <kozys@t...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 4:25 PM
Subject: [BRHSlist] Of Dynamometer & Rail Cars

> Hi all,
>
> I recently picked up the Walther's (HO) Burlington dynamometer car in
> Chinese Red. Looks kinda like some funky type drovers caboose to me. I
> may also be acquiring the Sperry rail geometry car, also in Burlington
paint.

> My question is how were these placed in trains while in service? What type
> of power and supporting cars, crew accommodations, etc. were in the train
> with them. If I actually run these on the layout someday would like to do
> so as realistically and true to CB&Q SOP as possible. The time frame for
> the layout is the 1960's, specifically fall of 1969.

A dynamometer car would be operated between the locomotive being tested and
the trailing train. It should operate cupola-forward. I've never seen any
information concerning support cars in CB&Q dynamometer operations.

Sperry Detector Cars of the era represented by the Walthers model operated
independently, and support was on board. It would *always* operate
cab-forward. In detection mode, it would not exceed 12 mph (IIRC); in
transit mode, they might be seen running up to 45 mph or so.

If you are into operation, having the Sperry car out there would be a lot of
fun (once in a while) . . . watching your dispatcher tear his hair to try &
keep the road running around/against such slow traffic <grin>.

Another fun "roadblock" to operation would be the old CB&Q weedburner
trains. I don't have any documentation on these ops, but I have a childhood
memory of seeing on on the B&NW at Mediapolis. IIRC, the weedburner came
through first, then was followed by a short train to inspect for and
extingush any smoldering ties . . .

Marshall