Re: [BRHSlist] Sanborn Maps

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Sanborn Maps
From: "Kenneth Currie" <currieken@e...>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 7:3:29 -0500
I'll principally be using the maps to correlate nearby, no longer standing,
business structures to their approximate locations near the tracks.
However, the maps I have received do appear to
represent the actual RR rights-of-way fairly closely (I know that's not the
situation in every case with Sanborn maps). The maps have proved
especially valuable in identifying track-side business by name
that I didn't even know existed, since contemporary photos are
often hard to come by. As a result, the Sanborn
maps have pointed me toward other research resources. As
with any historical source, they are best used in conjunction with others to
insure accuracy.

Ken Currie