Re: [BRHSlist] Tractor plants

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Tractor plants
From: Paul/Celine Kossart <kozys@t...>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:24:17 -0500
At 02:42 AM 4/19/01, jeff worones <jworones@y...> wrote:

Looking for some assistance in creating an industrial
track plan for a tractor plant, such as John Deere or
CaseIH.

<snip>

I'm assuming they operate similar to an auto
production line. Raw materials are formed into parts
and then staged along an assembly line to be attached
at the appropriate times.

Well, Jeff, I would suggest for further info you join up with the Railroad Industry group on yahoogroups at

Ry-ops-industrialSIG@yahoogroups.com

Also, check out the Model Railroader magazine articles in the June, 1997 issue starting on page 92 on modeling the automobile industry, and the October, 1998 issue starting on page 101 on the paper industry. Both have extensive information which may be of help to you and both also feature LARGE trackplans with multiple trackage and spots, inside and outside of buildings to serve these large, single product industries. I would think these would be applicable, at least in part or as a starting point, to a large farm implement manufacturing concern as well.

A couple years back I was considering modeling the same thing on my CB&Q Illiniwek Branch layout. I decided at the time that the cost of all those scale size farm machines would get pretty expensive, pretty quick - I don't know if that would still apply now. Anyway, my solution was to instead model a large trailer manufacturing facility. The Walther's van trailers were (are?) relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of then available farm machinery models as the trailers are only a couple bucks each. I also envisioned a bunch of undecs being transferred somehow to the paint building. I even emailed a couple of tractor manufacturers to try and get info and possibly printed material, photos, etc. to use for reference but I didn't get a single reply. So much for public relations.

Anyway, changes in subsequent layout configuration and resulting trackplan resulted in this idea being scrapped, but I still think it is a good, Midwestern type of industry to try and model on a layout. As the current trackplan doesn't allow the room now to do this type of operation justice, IMO, I am instead planning to model an appliance manufacturer complex which seems like basically the same type of operation but in a smaller area.

What type of raw materials/freight cars would be
inbound?
Coil steel cars for sheet steel rolls?
Gondolas for steel/aluminum billets?
'Auto parts' type (60'+) box cars for engines and
other large components produced off site?
Flat cars for tires?
Tank cars for machine oils, paints, or fuel?

All of these sound good, at least believable to me, Jeff. Your research will help nail down what the actual reality was/is, though. I envision most of the commodities you mentioned above as well as freon coming in for cooling systems.

Good luck!

Paul Kossart - Peru, Illinois, USA
BRHS, TP&WHS, La Salle & Bureau County Model Railroad Club

Proto-Freelancing The CB&Q Illiniwek River Branch in HO in the 1960's...
"Serving Agriculture and Industry in the Illiniwek River Valley since 1904."