Re: Bridge piers

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Bridge piers
From: glenehaug@m...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:32:12 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., "Richard Patterson" <rpatter@t...> wrote:
> While examining the underside of a former CB&Q bridge today (I
often do such things) I noticed the Roman numerals "XXIV" impressed
into the upper end of each concrete pier and abutment. Any chance
that stands for the year 1924? If not, What?

Richard:

It more likely is the distance to the tip of the piles in the
bridge. There should have been a horizontal line below the roman
numerals. The distance in feet to the average pile tip was stated in
roman numerals below this line. It was more common to see this on
wooden trestles, but showed up on concrete trestles also, if the
piers were constructed of concrete piles.

On bridges subject to scour, this was a good quick way to determine
how much piling remained below groundline.

Glen Haug