Mars lights on S-4's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Mars lights on S-4's
From: kzach@e...
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:20:51 -0000
Scott, others & list-

Hudsons 4002 & 4003 were sent to Lines West in 1951; 4002 in January,
and 4003 in February, and converted to burn oil. It APPEARS (I stress
the appears, since I have no other photos to confirm or refute), that
these two engines did not have Mars lights. On page 133 of Bulletin
#33, 4003 is shown in August 1955, sans Mars light; she only had a
little over a year left in service. Page 143 shows the 4002 en route
to scrapping; the boiler front shows no evidence of a mounting
bracket for a Mars light. So, if you have a Sunset S-4, and like the
look of the engine without the Mars light as I do, you can model 4002
or 4003, and have either a coal or oil burner, depending on your era
and locale. The Sunset model is great for this, with the removable
ash pans. The only thing you'll have to do is remove the box on top
of the boiler, the look of which I also prefer.

Jim Zach