Re: [BRHSlist] ticket punches

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] ticket punches
From: Wes Leatherock <wleath@s...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:41:46 -0500 (CDT)
And Hollerith, an employee of the Census Bureau, immediately
realized this could be adapted to make tabulating the census much
easier. The first use involved rods, sort of like knitting needles,
stuck through the holes to select the cards representing census
data corresponding to those holes. Others dropped out, and the
remaining ones could be readily counted.

He eventually left and organized a company which became the
Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company. In 1924 it changed its
name to International Business Machines Corporation.

Wes Leatherock
wleath@s...