Fw: [ObservationCar] Re: What my wife thinks of my hobby

To: bnsfhobo@a..., bnsftul@s..., c44-9w@S..., dodd@N..., dstevensok@j..., RJCDavis@a..., githens@s..., Gordon_MacNiven@m..., gtelmore@a..., kckev@e..., midka@j..., khuffman@m..., 57chevy1@h..., m.montray@w..., NanAust@a..., pmcginnis57@h..., rhodess@i..., rnewton_railphoto@c..., rsealy@t..., run8@s..., SFRR@a..., THEOKONE@c..., thunder.bolt@m..., ttowntrains@s..., unclepete@4..., wbfrazier@h..., whistlestopokc@a..., yardclerk@y..., railspot@yahoogroups.com, tmlafrance@y..., dboos@j..., BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, friscofans@egroups.com, frisco@n..., gngoat@yahoogroups.com, a6m5zerosen@y..., jimkuy@a..., Iradel@a..., Tamra.Spradlin@o..., LaChrisLa@a..., Airealshel@a..., mkt@egroups.com, boakes@f..., drgw@yahoogroups.com, ritslist@s..., santafe@c..., westernrailfan@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fw: [ObservationCar] Re: What my wife thinks of my hobby
From: okt@j...
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:45:31 -0600
This pretty well hits it on the head.
Terry

Greetings!

When I arrived home this evening, I saw a printout of an E-mail
message
> my wife had sent to one of her cousins. Our Christmas letter
had mentioned my interest in trains, and he had asked for more
details.
> Here is her reply:

> Rob has a fascination for trains. He also loves photography.
He works with computers professionally and ( to my
non-technological mind) is mildly obsessed with cyber-gadgetry. He has
found a way
to combine all three of these by taking pictures of trains and scanning
them into our computer to go onto his (and other people's) train
photography websites. There, the pix are the subject of long,
intricate
> discussions on the finer points of composition, angle, rust
> enhancement, and railroading in general.
To aid him in these endeavers, he has a railroad dispatch
scanner. He leaves for work early and listens to find out if any trains
are in
the vicinity. If any are approaching, he drives to whatever crossing,
> culvert, trestle, or other god-forsaken contrivance he can get to,
and finds a spot where he can lie in wait for the oncoming train.
The rugggeder, the better. A good shot might include sunrise over
an ice-bound landscape ( notice how those intricate frost patterns
bring out the splintering of the tie rods!) , the train emerging from
the
> tunnel - (at an angle you just can't get unless you are
submerged in the northwestern channel of the creek) and the mournful
water-briars drooping across the foreground (that's how you can tell
there
are gale-force winds blowing as the photo is snapped).
> Sorry. Got carried away.

Seems pretty accurate!

Rob