Re: [BRHSlist] Sheridan's 05

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Sheridan's 05
From: "Robert Yarger" <ryarger1@n...>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:38:10 -0500
Cosmetic restoration of a steam locomotive does not cost a great deal unless
a professional is hired to do the work. A proper job takes a lot of time
and elbow grease, but is easily within the skill levels of dedicated
volunteers who have proper guidance. My notes show the locomotive is owned
by the city, which means an approved volunteer group should have some access
to city-owned equipment, like trucks, air compressors, bucket loaders,
backhoes, etc., which can come
in handy from time-to-time. Local businesses can usually be persuaded to
make some in-kind donations, and federal TEA-21 funding can be applied for,
as well as the possibility of some state historic funding. Even BNSF might
be tapped for some help.

The main restoration cost would likely be asbestos abatement of the lagging,
which must
be done only by certified contractors, in tented conditions. Even if the
lagging has been removed from the boiler already, there is probably some
left on the backhead and steam heat piping. Abatement contractors should
not be allowed to remove any appliances, however, as they are likely to use
a torch instead of wrenches. The contractor should only have to loosen the
jacket banding and lift off the jacket sheets, with all in-the-way
appliances carefully removed by the volunteers beforehand. The jacketing
should be saved even if rusted, as it provides a pattern for replacement
sheets. The lagging thckness is usually replaced with wood or styrofoam
strips under the jacketing.

I personally feel it is our duty as rail enthusiasts to take these sad old
iron horses under our wing, and do what is best for the locomotive. We
cannot blame city fathers for their lack of maintenance, as they have enough
other problems to deal with and know nothing about locomotive maintenance.
Certainly many display locomotives won't run again, but there is no reason
why they can't look like they could, including full restoration of the cab
interior. The
RRs gave these to communities with pride, and I feel the communities
(meaning us) should maintain them with pride. A city with a display
locomotive should be able to advertise it proudly, and not be ashamed of its
condition.

Bob Yarger, Editor
Railway Preservation News (website)
www.rypn.org